Monday, August 24, 2009

Where to begin?






Can you believe it? I'm back! And being the truly wonderful mother that I am, I have failed to blog about the first 8 months of Jackson's life...but it is never to late to start. And there is the little fact that we have packed our bags and moved to the Island of Grenada in the West Indies where Dustin has begun his trek through medical school. So that brings me to the topic at hand...Where to begin.
Since part of the reason for my long absence from blogging is the pressure I feel to catch up, I am going to bypass the past and begin with the present.
First: I can't believe we live in Grenada! It is an extremely beautiful, exotic place with wonderfully warm people and a culture I am still trying to figure out. We have been here for only two weeks now and in all honesty it feels like it. I still feel a little isolated, lonely, nervous to go out and about by myself and I am looking at the next two years staring me down like it will be an eternity. But despite all of these feelings, I am positive this will be a life changing experience.
This year has been a whirlwind for us with the adoption of Jackson, Dustin retaking the MCAT, moving in with my parents, moving out of a ward we loved, finding out we were moving to Grenada in June, getting passports, thinking I would have to stay behind while we finalized the adoption, miraculously getting the adoption finalized a week before we left, getting sealed in the temple to Jackson, having Jackson blessed, and finally our two days of travel to get here. And though I have been stressed out beyond measure, scared and overwhelmed, I have felt very aware that my family was being taken care of. In fact, Dustin and I are both very aware that we are no longer able to lack faith in our lives, we have been given too much, time and again, to ever doubt our Heavenly Father, his awareness of us, and the path we are supposed to take.
I know I am getting off track but I am just going to go where my thoughts lead me right now: Our families are amazing. I just want to publicly let them know that we could not do anything without them. We were not able to get loans for this first term and there is no way we would be here now had they not all offered there support, both financially as well as emotionally, and through their service and love. They are there to counsel with us, they have helped us learn as we have raised Jackson, they have put a roof over our heads, helped with transportation, babysat, supported us on our biggest occasions, taken care of our sweet Penny, fed us and most importantly, never stopped believing in Dustin's ability to become a doctor and mine to be a mother.
We love them with all of our hearts and hope that among other ways of paying them back, that we will make them proud of who we become and how we live our lives. Their faith has sustained us when ours was lacking and now we will have the faith we need to continue on.
On the day that Jackson was sealed to us I was overcome with emotion and I believe it to have been the best day in my life. Not only were all three of us made a family for eternity, but I felt very aware of the covenants I had made to Dustin on our sealing day and the promises that were being fulfilled. I am unbelievably grateful for this experience and for this opportunity.
I guess this post was all over the place but now maybe I will be able to do more day-to-day posts in the future. My heart is just so overcome with gratitude that the second I start writing my emotions overflow. I hope I don't ever lose these feelings but hopefully I can at least talk about other things. Thanks for bearing with my ramblings.

14 comments:

Josh and Amber said...

He has gotten so BIG and so adorable! I'm so glad you posted. Also, I can't believe you live in Grenada either, my best friend lives there with her husband and baby boy who just turned two, because he's going through medical school too. I think they've been there about a year, and I think they are still there. She has said nothing but good things about Grenada, it's beautiful and the people are great. So if you ever come across and meet Cameron and Erica Werner, say hello! I miss them a lot! But I'm glad you guys are doing well and congradulations on everything! That's awesome!

Emily said...

Lyndzee, this was so nice to read! I am so happy to hear you've been blessed and are happy.

My sister and her husband were supposed to leave for med school in the Cayman Islands this week, and their funding just fell through, so they are stuck without a plan. What a pain!

Have so much fun.

Anjuli Fry said...

It was great to hear an update! Your little guy is so cute! I am completely with you on Faith. I am there myself without it, I am sure life would be harder and more difficult to understand. Take care of yourself. Love ya tons!

Amy, Dan and Ryan said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony and thoughts Lyndz. You are awesome, and I'm so excited and happy for you and your family. What an amazing opportunity for adventure and growth!

The Downey Family said...

Wow!! You guys are amazing!! Your little guy is so adorable!

Kristine said...

Thanks for the catch up on your lives! Congratulations on everything--adoption, the sealing, starting med school. It's no wonder you felt overwhelmed at times (much less could do that to anyone.) But you are both so amazing and positive. I'm sure your experience will be one in a million--and one that you're glad you've had. Two years will fly by, but don't worry about the lonliness and adjustment period right now--it's totally normal! Good luck! I can't wait to hear about more of your adventures. :)

C said...

As you know most of the blogging comes from the WIVES..(generally, that is!) This is chelo, and even though I've never met you-I kinda feel like I know a little bit about you from Jimmy, and I know he thinks the world of you!
I just wanted to say (and I'm sure Jimmy would agree) that Jackson is getting big! Sounds like life has been pretty busy, but it's SO good to hear that everything has worked out, and despite any bumps you've had in the road you guys haven't forgotten that the Lord is watching over your sweet family! Good Luck over there & keep us updated!

Joy said...

He is looking hansom...did I tell you that we are having a boy in October? We love the name Jackson too...hope you don't mind if we have more then one in the family...

Jord said...

I'm so glad you blogged again! How are things going? I need to get your number and give you a call to hear about the adjustment and travels down. I hope all is well and know that things will work out because you are so amazing.

Leslie said...

Yay! A blog! I'm excited to hear what your new life brings in Grenada!

Anonymous said...

Okay Zee,
i am looking at your blog balling my eyes out, and I'm sitting here at work. What a boob huh?! I miss, you, dusty, and little Jackson so much.. Our house has become so huge! But, I am also thankful for this experience that your little family is sharing! I am so excited for you, and a little jealous! Lyndzee Dustin and Jackson- Thank you so much for living with us, and at a perfect time. You moved in right before Taylor left on his mission, and I needed this, and loved this.. I enjoyed every minute, and i sincerely mean this from the bottom of my heart. Your drop in visits with me at ServiceTRAC was always a very welcome distraction. Your cute phone calls weekly to let me know you were off to Costco to fill our fridge and pantry, and the endless errands that you ran for me.. You always made me feel like I was doing you a favor, but really Zee it was me you were serving.. Being able to spend the past 5 months was like going back in time and being able to spend quality time with my 'pumpkin sunshine'. I know Dustin misses me jumping out from any corner I could find to scare him.. hehe! and those late night body slams..
But most of all i want to tell you to so enjoy your little Island, and this time together. You guys are so lucky to have each other. Trust me, I have been married for 30 years, and I wish I could turn the clock back because I want more adventure, and craziness! I love being married to Dad.. We have so much fun.. Bee good Take Care, and remember to give Jackson everyday for me....
I'll be Skyping you soon!

Dave and Corey Johnson said...

You are so amazing. Your little boy is so cute and I can't believe you live in the West Indies. How neat that you guys were able to be sealed.

Melissa and Trevor said...

Wow!!!! I had no idea!!!! What a change and how much fun!

Unknown said...

So, I was wondering why I hadn't see you at Stake Conference!!!! Wow. Good luck. I'm late in reading and finding out where you are (but then, I haven't updated my own blog in a couple of months either). I envy you (just a little bit). Sometimes I think I really need to be pulled out of my little comfort bubble I've put around myself here. Oh...and by the way, Jackson is adorable! Wish my babe would applaud me!!!!!!!