Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Prayers


Tonight's prayers were a moment I can't let go undocumented, so here it goes.  Every night Jackson gets 2 books and 2 songs before he goes to bed.  He has all of his books memorized and loves to say the lines to us as we read to him.  A current favorite is a book called I Love You Stinky Face.  This is an appropriate book in our family because my terms of endearment for Jackson are often bugger butt or stinky butt or...well, you get my point, stinky face fits right in.  So we read our books and sang our songs and then it was time for prayer.

Tonight Jackson requested that Charlie say the prayer.  Sometimes we OK this because "Charlie", Jackson's bear who he has given voice and personality to, actually gives pretty sweet prayers.  At other times we have to veto the idea because Charlie is too hyper and we can't take his high, squeeky voice anymore.  Tonight, however, when this idea was put forward, Jackson also asked that Charlie's dad, Paddington Bear, and Charlie's mom, a stuffed monkey, participate as well.  He gathered them all around him, folded their arms and bowed his head over them.  Then the prayer proceeded like this:

Charlie: Heavenly Father ( high, squeaky voice)
Paddington: Heavenly Father (in a very low voice)
Monkey: Heavenly Father (in a motherly voice)

Charlie: Thank you for this day
P: Thank you for this day
M: Thank you for this day

C: Bless daddy at school
P: Bless daddy at school
M: Bless daddy at school

C: Bless Jackson to sleep well
P: Bless Jackson to sleep well
M: Bless Jackson to sleep well

C: And I say these things
P: "     "     "      "
M: "   "      "      "

C: In the name of Jesus Christ
P: "    "  "  "  "
M: "  "   "   "  "

C: Amen!
P: "
M: "

I love that he didn't falter with their voices for the entire prayer. I love his imagination. I love his love for his Savior, no matter how simple.  I love this little man.

2 comments:

Rob, Michelle, Luke & Harper said...

First, I LOVE that picture of Jackson. Second, just today I was laughing at Luke's prayers. Obviously Jackson has taken in the direction you have given him with prayer. Luke on the other hand prayed that my mom's cat would come visit us on an airplane.

Bob and Raylene said...

A tender moment, very sweet.