Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Decisions, decisions?!

I found this program that would allow me to get my teaching certificate and my masters in education in one year. I was ecstatic. As far back as i can remembver I have wanted to be a teacher. Oddly enough I didn't take this route in school. I loved my English classes too much to sacrifice them for the education courses. So here I am today working in advertising (which I enjoy) and supporting Dustin through school...I digress. So I went to the meeting regarding this program last night and the more I found out about it, the more it seemed impossible to do. First of all, in the first 18 weeks of class we will take 30 credits... I won't be able to work full time with this type of workload. Second of all, I will have to do student teaching for 15-18 weeks so working at all will be out of the question. And lastly, the cost will at least be $7,000. I guess my biggest struggle with all of this is that I am not sure if my role right now is to be the supporter, to enable Dustin to get through school and to provide us with our benifits and a savings, or should I follow my dream while I can, move in with the parents and find a part time job that will leave us lacking a little when we go to Med school. How should I balance all of this?

5 comments:

Anjuli Fry said...

You have probably heard enough from me but we had to decided between my great job to put Joseph through school or me staying home (my dream) as a Mom. And Joseph is going in to med school. I know you want kids but think about what you can do while not having them. I didn't finish my college education and I don't regret it but I am looking forward to a time that I can catch up. As a wife and mother you find that you do put your own dreams on hold alot of the time. We have lived poor and have used alot of goverment help because I know we will eventually pay it back in taxes. And it has been a blessing that Joseph got into the Military med school because that covers all cost for school and you recieve a paycheck. You owe them 7 years after school and residancy but not having to worry about student loans is a big relief. Lyndzee I hope that this helps, this is what worked for us but you have to do what is right for you and Dustin.
How long does Dustin have until he starts med school? Has he taken the MCAT yet? Joseph has just finished the whole process, so if you guys have any questions I am sure he would be willing to answer them!!!!
Love you lots!!

Mrs. B said...

Lyndz, you'd be such a great teacher, and you should definitely follow your dreams. I think it'd be scary living on basically just student loans, but if you really want to do it, go for it!

Anjuli Fry said...

Thanks for up dating on my blog. I know how hard it can be sometimes to make big decisions but once you have made one it releaves alot of stress. It is great to be on contact with you again.
Love ya lots

Emily said...

Lyndzee, I'm so excited that you have a blog! I'm sorry I don't have any good advice, but I don't think you need it, because you and Dustin are so capable of making right, intelligent choices. I adore you two.

Christen Noelle said...

Lyndzee! I am so glad to see that you have a blog too! Good luck on your descisions...after listening to Michelle Jorgensen talk to you about her and Ron's journey through med-school I have a complete respect for any woman that has patience to put her husband through school and for any husband who has the drive to make it through! I know you will make the right choice!